Friday, April 24, 2009

Preparing for Home Invasion

You read it right. I'm preparing for a home invasion.

In a few hours, my house will be overrun by four extra teen boys. My son turns 14 on Monday, so it's time for his third annual birthday sleepover.

Hold me.

When my husband and I started this now-ingrained tradition, it sounded like a welcome relief after all the years of Chuck E. Cheese parties. (May I add that it was HIS idea?) But every year, the boys get a little bigger, and we become more aware of what to expect.

A living room laden with sleeping bags, soda and popcorn. Sounds of explosions from Naruto Ultimate Ninja, Transformers and James Bond. While my husband and I hide in the bedroom, and my nine-year-old daughter huddles with us, looking at me piteously for her share of the attention. The grinding of our teeth when the video game marathon stretches past midnight. The agonizing over where to draw the line on this semi-supervised anarchy.

Could be worse, you parents of older teens are probably saying. At least we know where they are.

Oh, YEAH, we know where they are.

And right now they're still polite to us. I should be counting my blessings. But I've figured it out. They know that putting up with dorky adults is a necessity. At least until they're 16, and big enough to get their hands on the car keys.

Will there be a 15-year-old sleepover? I'm not sure yet. But when I think of what happens when he hits sixteen....

Hold me.

5 comments:

brenda minton said...

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE...DON'T DO IT.
Actually, at least it's boys, not girls. The boys will wrestle, duke it out and still like each other. They won't single one kid out with the intention of destroying him.

Cathy in AK said...

As much chaos as there was with my girls' parties at Chuck E. Cheese-like establishments, bowling alleys and community pools, at least it was over in an hour or two. And the guest or b-day girl emotional drama was limited to not getting a big enough piece of cake or not liking pink snap bracelets in their gift bag. Now, with a 12 yo and an 8 yo, who gets invited, which friends are not friends with each other and can't be in the same room, and what can we do in our small town to entertain them requires a lot more thought.

Good luck to you! And happy birthday to your son :)

Sierra Donovan said...

This doesn't bode well, ladies. I have a 9-year-old daughter....

I may be on hugging life support for the next several years!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm grinning and a little envious here. My son is 32 now. When yours gets there, you'll know what I mean. :)
xxxooo
CA

Sierra Donovan said...

I know, I should be counting my blessings. It's like my husband says: By the time you've gotten the hang of one phase of parenthood, it's over and you're on to the next one!

When your son is 32, do you feel like you know how he's "turned out"? Or is that still an ongoing process?